Midwestern State University follows the recommendations of AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) with regard to name changes on University records.  The student's name is initially entered based on the application for admission or the first enrollment document received (i.e., test scores, transcripts).  In cases of discrepancy, the student will be asked to provide documentation of the correct legal name.

In accordance with AACRAO recommendations, MSU requires certified copies of one of the following legal documents in order to perform a name change in our records:

  • Marriage License
  • Court Order
  • Divorce or Dissolution Decree
  • Birth Certificate

The documents must reflect the new name in full. 

For a non-U.S. Citizen, current passport or official proof of identity certified by a U.S. Official may be used.

Social Security Number Changes - Midwestern State University requires that students provide proper verification of the correct Social Security Number in the form of a Social Security Card in order to change a Social Security Number.

If you have questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (940) 397-4321 or at registrar@msutexas.edu.