The student's major is first declared on the application for admission.  If a change needs to be made, the following steps should be taken:

  1. Go to the department office of the new major being declared.  For example, if your current major is math and you would like to declare history, contact the History Department. 
  2. Tell them you are wanting to change your major and ask to be assigned to an advisor in that area.
  3. Complete a "change of major" form with your new advisor.  Your advisor/department office will send it to the Registrar's Office for the change to be made in the computer.

You should ask for a planning page or for information on the degree requirements for your major.  You need to meet with your advisor at least once a semester to discuss your progress and be advised for future terms. 

Note: For students who want to change from a major to undecided, contact Tutoring and Academic Support Programs in the Moffett Library, at, or at 940-397-4684.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When should I declare a major?

As soon as you have decided upon a new major, you should declare.  You will receive the best academic advising in the field of your intended major.  The University recommends that you declare a major as soon as possible; however, a guideline is no later than the beginning of your junior year, since you will probably have completed most of the academic foundation requirements by then.

What if I am not sure about the major in which I am interested?

It is suggested that you visit with an advisor in that program, who can help you determine if it meets your career goals, etc.  Enrolled MSU students are also eligible for free career counseling in the MSU Counseling Center. Career Counseling involves four or five meetings with a counselor and testing to help in determining a student’s strengths and preferences related to a major and to the world of work. The Counseling Center can be reached at 940-397-4618.

Do I have to get permission to "leave" my previous major?

No; however, out of courtesy to your previous advisor, you may want to let them know.  Also, the staff of the Tutoring and Academic Support Programs who may have advised you as an undecided major would be interested in knowing that you have made this decision.  A copy of the "change of major" form will also be sent to them.