How can I get a SSN?

Social Security Numbers are ONLY available for application to F-1 students who have an offer of employment on-campus, or a specific work authorization granted by USCIS.

Student: I've been hired on-campus, what's next?

After an offer of employment has been secured, the student must contact and copy the hiring employer to notify a DSO.

A DSO will then generate a letter for an eligible student to retrieve and take to a local Social Security field office for the application process.

MSU Texas Faculty or Staff: How do I hire a global scholar?

On-campus employers should follow the guidelines listed on the HR webpage "Student Employment", as well as email to inform a DSO of the recent hire of a global scholar.

SSN application process

  • Once the student has obtained the a letter from a DSO in GEO and HR, the student must take their passport, immigration documents (I-20), printed I-94 admission number, to the Social Security Administration office.

  • You must wait at least 10 days after entering the U.S. before applying for a Social Security Number.

  • Average processing times for a Social Security Number are two to four weeks.

  • The Social Security Administration office is located at 4314 Wendover St, Wichita Falls TX 76309. Their phone number is (940) 689-9240. Please check the social security office locator to find out the hours of operation.

  • Once you obtain your Social Security Card, take it to Human Resources in the Hardin Administration building.