GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at
  1. Apply to MSU:
  2. Request all transcripts be sent to the Admissions Office.
    • Transcripts must be sent directly from the University or Institution to MSU Admissions. No hand carried transcripts will be accepted.
    • To have your Joint Service Transcript (JST) sent to MSU, visit this website and follow the instructions (transcripts will automatically be sent to MSU digitally upon completion):
  3. If this is your first time ever using Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® or Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance, you need to apply by filling out a VA Application for the benefit online at
  4. Gather your supporting documents, which vary for each benefit, and submit them to the MSU VA office. These can be accepted as scans by email or delivered in person or by mail. The documents required for each benefit are not necessarily limited to the ones specifically listed on this page. If you have any questions about what you may need, contact the MSU VA Office.
    • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®:
      • DD-214 (Unless active duty)
      • Degree Plan
      • Certificate of Eligibility, if active duty
    • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
      • VA Form 1905 (Request from your VA counselor)
      • Degree Plan
    • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
      • Certificate of Eligibility (One per year to verify benefits remaining)
      • DD-214 (Unless active duty or dependent using transfer of entitlement)
      • Degree Plan
    • Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance
      • Certificate of Eligibility
      • Full VA File # and Payee #
      • Degree Plan
    • Chapter 1606
      • Notice of Basic Eligibility or Certificate of Eligibility
      • Degree Plan
  5. Once you have gathered your supporting documents and you are registered for classes for the term you wish to use your benefits, complete a Benefit Request form at the following website:

New, Transfer, and Current Students:

If you have used VA Education Benefits at another school but are new to MSU the Change of Place of Training and Program form must be filled out.  Reporting a change in institutions can be accomplished at: by clicking on the "Find Your Education Benefits Form" button. You must also submit all supporting documents to the MSU VA office as if you are using benefits for the first time.

All students must complete the Benefit Request Form at the beginning of each semester once they have registered for classes.  This is how you notify MSU VA that you are registered and wish to use your benefits for the semester.

  1. Call (940) 397-4305, e-mail, or come by the MSU VA office each semester to verify receipt of your documents.
  2. The Department of Veterans Affairs does not pay any benefits before the semester. You will be paid after each month throughout the semester. For new applications, the process time is approximately 60 days.
  3. For students who enroll 3/4 time or more, you can apply for VA work-study positions.


Allowing Veterans to Attend or Participate in Courses Pending VA Payment (38 USC 3679(e):

Background:  Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

Pending Payment Compliance:  In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Midwestern State University adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. Midwestern State University will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.