3.330 Human Resources
Date Adopted/Most Recent Revision: 11/07/14
This policy is established to provide uniform guidelines and standardized procedures for all student employment.
- Academic Requirements for Student Employment
- Fall/Spring Semesters
During the fall and spring semesters, an UNDERGRADUATE student must be enrolled in at least six (6) hours and have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. A GRADUATE student must be enrolled in at least three (3) hours and maintain the academic standards required by the student's master's degree program.
- Summer Terms
During the summer terms, if an UNDERGRADUATE or GRADUATE student is enrolled for at least one (1) hour, they must meet the academic requirements stated in B. 1, above. If the student is NOT registered during the summer term(s), the student must meet the following requirements:
- was enrolled at MSU the preceding spring semester and earned credit for the hours and grades stated in B. 1. above, or
- has been unconditionally accepted for enrollment for the following fall semester and meets the required academic standards.
- Work Hours Per Week
Student employees will normally be authorized to work no more than twenty (20) hours per week.
Rates of Pay
- Minimum/Maximum Wages
Student employees who are paid an hourly rate will be paid at a rate at least equal to the current hourly federal minimum wage but not greater than the current hourly federal minimum wage plus $3.50. Budgetary heads will have the authority to establish student wages within this range on the basis of the qualifications, experience and past work performance of the student and the needs of their respective areas and individual budgets.
- Salary Increases
Student salary increases are not automatic with continued employment, but may be given on the basis of performance. Deans or department heads must certify that funds are available to cover the cost of salaries in excess of the minimum wage.
Rates of pay for tutors will be set by individual budgetary heads according to the needs and resources of their respective programs and may exceed the current hourly federal minimum wage plus $3.50 with approval from the designated senior administrator.
Exceptions to the academic requirements, rates of pay, and work hour provisions may be made if approved in writing by the designated senior administrator.
- A one semester exception to the academic requirements may be made with approval of the designated senior administrator.
- When a student worker possesses highly specialized skills or training, the designated senior administrator may, in extraordinary circumstances, authorize a rate of pay greater than the current hourly federal minimum wage plus $3.50.
- An exception to the twenty-hour workweek may be made by the designated senior administrator. Foreign national students may only be granted an exception to the twenty-hour workweek during the winter break, spring break, and summer semesters per federal regulations.
- Upon offer of student employment, the hiring department should direct each new student employee to the Human Resources Department to complete required employment paperwork. Student employees must provide Human Resources acceptable documents to verify eligibility to work in the United States within three business days of their first day of employment. Student employees must furnish Human Resources with an original Social Security card.
- The hiring department must submit an Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) for all student employees. The EPAF may not be originated for new student employees until mandatory paperwork has been completed in Human Resources.
- Before accepting employment, foreign national student employees must also process through the International Services Office (ISO) to verify their status and eligibility to work. Refer to Policy 3.348.
- Males who are U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered with the Selective Service in order to be employed by Midwestern State University. This includes all full-time, part-time, and student employees. The Human Resources Department is responsible for verification of Selective Service Registration.
- A background check is required if the position is considered security sensitive.