3.147 Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
GRADUATE FACULTY REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES
Graduate faculty members are expected to establish and maintain a record of scholarly productivity, teaching excellence, and exemplary individual work with graduate students. The accomplishments of faculty who are teaching in the graduate programs at MSU are reviewed regularly to evaluate the effectiveness of each faculty member in accord with published criteria, regardless of contractual or tenured status (SACSCOC 3.72). Evidence of such faculty performance should be included in the graduate faculty member�s annual personnel report as well as on the faculty member�s curriculum vitae (CV). For those holding graduate faculty status, the faculty member�s performance as a member of the graduate faculty is evaluated by the faculty member, department chair and dean during annual performance review. If the faculty member�s scholarship, teaching or independent work with graduate students does not meet the guidelines or standards established by the department, college and the graduate council, the faculty member�s graduate faculty appointment may be denied or reduced, which will result in the creation of a developmental plan.The performance of the faculty member as a member of the graduate faculty should have a substantial impact on the faculty member�s annual performance evaluation and on the academic dean�s and chair�s recommendation for merit, tenure, or promotion.
B. Graduate Faculty Status
a. Criteria for full graduate faculty status:
i. Hold a full-time faculty appointment at MSU.
ii. Hold a terminal degree in the discipline or a related field; or provide clear evidence of exceptional scholarly achievement that obviates this requirement.
iii. Demonstrate an ongoing record of a variety of scholarly activities as described in the research and scholarly activities sections of the Tenure and Promotion Policy defined by the faculty member�s college and department.
iv. Demonstrate successful graduate teaching and effective individual work with graduate students.
v. Be recommended by the faculty member�s college.
b. Qualified to:
i. Teach graduate courses
ii. Serve on Graduate Advisory (Thesis), Research Paper, and other Graduate C
iii. Chair Graduate Advisory (Thesis), Research Paper, and other Graduate
iv. Eligible for appointment as a Graduate Coordinator for the program
c. Term: Full graduate faculty are appointed for a five year term and must reapply at the end of their appointed term.
2. Associate Graduate Faculty status
a. Criteria for associate graduate faculty status:
ii. Hold, or be actively pursuing, a terminal degree in the discipline or a related field; or provide clear evidence of exceptional scholarly achievement that obviates this requirement.
b. Qualified to:
c. Term: Associate graduate faculty are appointed for a three year term and must reapply at the end of their appointed term.
3. Adjunct graduate faculty
a. Criteria for adjunct graduate faculty status:
i. Hold an adjunct faculty appointment at MSU.
ii. Hold or be actively pursuing a terminal degree in the discipline or a related field; or provide clear evidence of exceptional professional qualifications and experience.
b. Qualified to:
c. Term: 1 year
C. Procedures for appointment as graduate faculty
1. Each College and Department will develop guidelines for the evaluation of satisfactory performance. Although these guidelines will reflect the individual nature of each graduate program, they will be consistent with the general guidelines for graduate faculty status outlined in this policy.
2. MSU full-time, part-time, or adjunct faculty who are being considered for an assignment to teach graduate courses as the faculty of record must be reviewed for appointment as graduate faculty at the rank of adjunct, associate, or full graduate faculty prior to the semester in which the first graduate course is slated to be taught. The process is as follows:
a. A current curriculum vitae (CV) is supplied to the department chair by the faculty member.
b. A letter of recommendation is written by the department chair to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs (AVPAA) and Dean of the McAda Graduate School.
c. The Graduate Faculty Status Recommendation form is completed and signed by department chair and graduate coordinator.
d. The recommendation is reviewed by the academic dean of the college using the appropriate college and departmental guidelines for evaluation of satisfactory performance. When in agreement that the faculty member is eligible for consideration for graduate faculty status, the dean will sign, and annotate if desired, the Graduate Faculty Status Recommendation form and sent forward to the AVPAA/Dean of the McAda Graduate School.
e. The AVPAA/Dean of the McAda Graduate School will review the recommendation of the college for the faculty member�s appointment to the recommended status, assuring alignment of the faculty member�s expertise and experience with guidance presented in this policy, making a recommendation to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, with whom the final decision rests. The full recommendation documentation, including department chair letter, faculty CV, and recommendation form with annotations will be provided to the Provost.
f. The recommendation at the academic dean�s or graduate dean�s, level may include approval as submitted, approval at an altered status, or denial. Recommendations for alteration or denial must include annotation regarding rationale for such recommendation.
g. The decision at the provost�s level may include approval as submitted, approval at an altered status, or denial.
h. Should the appointment be denied, a written explanation of the decision shall be provided by the Dean of the McAda Graduate School, indicating specific aspects or deficits of scholarship, experience, or performance disqualifying the faculty from appointment.
i. If a denial is issued, future efforts to achieve graduate faculty status will benefit from a personal statement from the faculty describing efforts to address any noted areas of deficit in scholarship, experience, or performance.
3. New faculty joining MSU in a faculty position that includes teaching as a faculty of record for a graduate course must meet the requirements for graduate faculty status. When hiring documents are sent forward to the Office of the Provost, the Graduate Faculty Status Recommendation Form should be sent simultaneously to the Dean of the McAda Graduate School.
D. Procedures for advancement within the graduate faculty (i.e. from adjunct to associate or associate to full graduate status)
1. Faculty who wish to be considered for advancement within the graduate faculty must apply and submit a current CV to the department chair. Having considered the advice of the graduate coordinator, the department chair will review faculty performance and provide a written recommendation to the college dean.
2. The recommendation will proceed as outlined in section C.2 above.
E. Procedures for renewal of graduate faculty status
1. Faculty who wish to be considered for continued status within the graduate faculty must submit a request with a current CV to the department chair. Having considered the advice of the graduate coordinator, the department chair will review faculty performance and provide the Dean of the Graduate School with a written recommendation for the faculty member�s continued standing.
2. The recommendation will proceed as outlined in section C.2 above
F. Development of graduate faculty
If the faculty member�s scholarship, teaching, or independent work with graduate students does not meet the guidelines or standards established by the department and college, the faculty member, the chair and the dean will develop a plan that they believe will result in the faculty member�s meeting those guidelines or standards. This plan will include actions to be undertaken by the faculty member and the support provided by the college for the faculty member�s successful and timely completion of those planned actions. (Graduate faculty status during the development period will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate School, based on the recommendations of the college dean.) The results of the plan will be a part of the faculty member�s next annual performance review.
G. Procedures for Approval for Associate Graduate Faculty Members to Chair a Graduate Advisory Committee to Direct Thesis
1. The Graduate Coordinator, in collaboration with the Department Chair, may recommend to the Academic Dean that a faculty member holding both a full-time appointment to the faculty at MSU and Associate Graduate Faculty Status may be approved to chair a student�s Graduate Advisory Committee based upon alignment of the Associate Graduate Faculty Member�s specialized knowledge in a particular area of study.
2. The College will recommend the appointment through completion of the Graduate Advisory Committee Chair for One-Time Thesis Appointment form, providing ample rationale to support the appropriateness of, and need for, such an appointment.
3. The designated form, faculty member�s CV, a detailed letter, and a plan for mentorship by a faculty member holding Full Graduate Faculty Status shall be sent forward to the Graduate Dean�s Office for recommendation to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, who holds final authority for approval.
4. This process is to be used only for a singular appointment on a case-by-case basis, as its rationale resides with the faculty member�s expertise to a singular thesis.
H. Procedures for Monitoring Graduate Faculty Appointment of those Teaching Courses for which Graduate Credit is Awarded
1. The Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Billie Doris McAda Graduate School will monitor graduate faculty status, assuring that faculty appointments are congruent with teaching assignments, graduate advisory committee roles, and research paper roles in compliance with authorized graduate faculty responsibilities.
2. The process is as follows:
a. The roster of graduate classes, 3000-4000 courses taken for graduate credit, dual-listed courses, and thesis sections will be reviewed to assure that the faculty of record holds the required graduate faculty status. This review occurs each semester.
b. If there are any discrepancies, the Dean of the Graduate School will follow up with the appropriate graduate coordinator, department chair, and academic dean to assure that proper action is taken, including either seeking graduate faculty status for the faculty of record or changing teaching assignments.
3. The outcomes of this review process will be communicated to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.