What should I know when applying to Midwestern State University? Are there any special procedures?

Students with disabilities must apply to MSU through the regular admissions procedures; disability will not be considered.  A student may, however, apply for provision of accommodations when taking standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and THEA.  Consult the appropriate registration bulletin to find the directions for applying for testing accommodations or for further information.  The registration bulletins are available from Testing Services, Hardin South 224.

What should I do if I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

If you suspect you have a disability that is impacting your academic performance, you will need to provide documentation of that disability along with a completed request for services form to Disability Support Services after your acceptance to the university. The documentation must be supplied by a qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question. After these items have been reviewed, you will be contacted for an appointment with the Director of Disability Support Services. Accommodations will be addressed during this meeting.

I received accommodations in high school or I had an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Can I use the IEP as documentation?

The IEP is a valuable resource of information, but it cannot be used as documentation of the disability.

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school. How are these services different in college?

Colleges are required to provide any reasonable accommodation that may be necessary for equal access to education. They are not required to design special programs for students with disabilities or Individualized Educational Plans (IEP’s). For more information, go to "The Transition From High School to College".

If I am a student with a disability, will Disability Support Services seek me out to provide services like my counselors did in high school?

In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act. IDEA no longer applies. Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education in college. Under IDEA, it is the responsibility of the schools to provide services and seek out students with disabilities. Colleges do not have to seek out students with disabilities. It is the student’s responsibility to seek out services through Disability Support Services.

What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. In this case, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents. Parents can be a wonderful source of support.

I suspect I have a learning disability. Can Counseling & Disability Services conduct the assessment to provide a diagnosis?

Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing. The student is responsible for providing documentation, and any additional testing, if necessary. However, we do provide referral information.