Types of Employment

On-campus Employment Requirements

All F-1 students must be in active F-1 status, must maintain a full course of study and have valid documentation in order to work on-campus. Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Full-time employment (over 20 hours per week) is allowed during vacation periods and summer for enrolled and continuing students. Please note that students working on the Midwestern State campus are limited to 29 hours a week for a maximum of 60 days during vacation periods. For more information kindly refer to Human Resources.


Once an international student has attained employment, the department on campus who has hired the student must inform the Office of International Services.

On-campus employment is not guaranteed for all students, please do not count or rely on an on-campus job to be a steady form of income to pay your tuition and fees.

Off-Campus Employment

As a F-1 student, you are not to engage in off-campus employment unless your have received proper authorization as indicated on your form I-20. Listed below are the types of off-campus employment an international F-1 student may engage in ONLY after proper authorization is received.

Do not jeopardize your student status. Always make sure you receive proper authorization to engage in off-campus work.