Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is the mechanism which allows an F-1 student to complete off-campus practical training experience which is integral to successful completion of a course, required for the program of study. An example of this may include a mandatory internship course, or an elective internship course that counts toward program major requirements. CPT is available only while the student is in valid F-1 status and before the completion of his/her program.

Criteria and Eligibility

Approval from a Designated School Official (DSO) in the Global Education Office, must be received prior to a F-1 student's participation in off-campus practical training. Authorization will be considered only after the student has submitted a completed CPT request form, copy of job offer letter, and enrollment in the designated course can be confirmed.

  • The student must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year before being eligible for CPT. 
    • An exception exists for graduate students if a graduate program requires immediate participation in an internship, a practicum, or other employment. 

  • Students in English Language programs are not eligible for CPT.

Part-Time vs. Full-Time

Part-Time Training

During the school year while classes are in session, students can engage in CPT on a part-time basis, limited to no more than 20 hours per week. If eligible, there is no limitation on the length of time you may participate in part-time curricular practical training, but you must be maintaining lawful F-1 status and gain approval each semester.

Full-Time Training

A student can engage in full-time CPT during official University breaks and vacation.  Full-time CPT allows the student to work more than 20 hours per week.  Please Note:  If you participate in 50 weeks or more of FULL-TIME curricular practical training, you will not be eligible for post-completion optional practical training (OPT).



If you are eligible and have the documentation required for CPT, a DSO will authorize CPT by issuing a new I-20 detailing the employment. You may engage in CPT employment only after you have received the I-20 with your CPT authorization.   This work authorization is valid only for the specific employer, location, time period and on a part-time or full-time basis as approved and recorded by a DSO as evidenced on your I-20 issued for CPT. You may not continue employment beyond the date authorized. To begin work, prior or work past the dates of CPT approval, would be a violation of your nonimmigrant F-1 student status. Do not jeopardize your student status and make sure you receive proper authorization to engage in off-campus work.