3.141 Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
FACULTY EDUCATION INCENTIVE PROGRAM
Date Adopted/Most Recent Revision: 05/15/15
The purpose of this policy is to help facilitate faculty development at Midwestern State University. Specifically, in those cases in which faculty members will derive professional benefit (i.e., improve their ability to perform contractual teaching, research, and service requirements) by enrolling in coursework offered at Midwestern State University, this program will provide reimbursement to faculty members for the cost of tuition and fees.
B. Program Administration
Guidelines for the program are as follows:
1. All full-time faculty members in retirement eligible positions are eligible to apply.
2. Eligible faculty may enroll in:
a. A maximum of four (4) hours each fall and spring semesters
b. A maximum of four (4) hours during each of the summer terms
Participation will be limited to not more than twelve (12) credit hours per fiscal year. Courses taken will not interfere with the faculty member�s fulfillment of his or her contractual responsibilities.
3. To be eligible, a person must be employed full time at the beginning of the course and upon completion of the course.
4. Only credit courses taken at MSU are included in the program.
5. All faculty members enrolled in this program will continue to be responsible to fulfill their teaching, research, and service responsibilities, including provision of office hours.
6. Eligible faculty wishing to participate in the incentive program shall complete and submit the Faculty Educational Incentive Program Request to their department chair, college dean, and ultimately the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs no later than three weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the faculty intends to enroll.
7. The Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Human Resources will coordinate the incentive program. In order to enroll, an employee must first obtain the approval of his or her department chair. The department chair must consider the impact of the faculty member�s proposed enrollment in the program on the department�s responsibilities. By signing the Faculty Educational Incentive Program Request form, the department chair will inform the college dean of his/her approval for the faculty member to enroll for course work in the incentive program. The college dean must consider the impact of the faculty member�s proposed enrollment in the program on the college�s responsibilities. By signing the Faculty Educational Incentive Program Request form, the college dean will inform the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs of his/her approval for the faculty member to enroll for course work in the incentive program. The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs retains ultimate approval for the faculty member�s enrollment in this plan.
8. Upon approval, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs in conjunction with the President�s Office will identify funds to pay state mandated tuition and required academic fees. All other tuition and fees will be waived for the approved course.
9. Faculty members will be financially responsible for incomplete grades.
10. Checks will be disbursed to the employee after each semester, unless the employee has an outstanding balance with the university. In such case the funds will be credited to the employee's outstanding balance.